If you’re around Glasgow on the 24th come along to the next SWC Great Debate where Douglas Thompson will chair a panel on Speculative Fiction (Sci Fi, Fantasy, Paranormal etc) . Join Kirsty Logan, Roy Gill, Neil Williamson, Gordon Robertson, and John Birch to discuss this hot topic. Bring your views, your ideas and your voice to the debate.
Come and discuss such questions as:
- Where are the female writers of speculative fiction? Are they all writing YA now?
- Why are there so few reviews of speculative fiction in the mainstream press?
- If a comic is now Graphic Fiction does that make it literature?
- Does Speculative Fiction attract less funding than literary fiction? If so, why?
- Why are so few writers of speculative fiction included in literary festivals – or hidden within the children’s events?
- Where does cross-over literature sit within the literary tradition?
- Why write speculative fiction?
- Is it easier to write science fiction and fantasy than mainstream fiction?
News! I’ve recently taken up responsibility for co-ordinating events at the Scottish Writers’ Centre – check out the BookRambler Blog for full details.